It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to Steele for the 2014-15 school year. We had a successful school year last year and are looking forward to building on that success while we learn and grow together as a community.
For those of you new to Steele I want to invite you to an incredibly hard working and dynamic community. The partnership that Steele has with its parent community is the best in the state. We work together as a community to ensure success for our students. I’m often reminded that it takes a village to raise a child and I personally feel fortunate to be a part of this amazing village.
It has been exciting to see new and old faces come into the building to register for school over the last two weeks. Depending on when you read this you have three more opportunities to register. They are today (August 13th), August 20th and August 21th. Please see the Steele Website for information regarding times.
Steele had many successes in many different areas last year. I would like to take a moment to share some of them with you:
· Our overall TCAP scores increased in reading, writing and math from the year before. We are one of 43 DPS schools to achieve this (there are close to 190 DPS schools). This is the second year in row we have had school-wide growth in all three subject areas.
· As a school our TCAP proficiency and above rates were: Reading 89%, Math 91%, and writing 72%. These are the highest TCAP scores in reading, writing and math in the history of Steele (for the second year in a row).
· Our TCAP growth scores totaled over 180 for the second year in a row. 180 is the benchmark that DPS uses for great schools. (Growth scores are compiled by comparing individual student growth on TCAP compared to growth of students who scored in the same range the year before).
· Our Drama teacher, Lane Miller, was awarded the best Drama teacher award for the state of Colorado.
· A smooth transition to a new grade configuration.
· A successful giving campaign, multiple 100 year celebrations, a fantastic Home Tour and many community events that brought us together and raised money for Steele Elementary School.
· An assembly funded by PTA that provided our students with problem solving skills in social situations.
Some of our goals for this year:
· Continue to implement the new Colorado and Common Core State Standards through the use of examining student work collaboratively
· Continue to strategically implement the use of technology to better meet student and parent needs.
The staff looks forward to working with the community so that all of our children succeed. I know there is no greater honor than working with your children everyday. Thank you for trusting us with such important treasures. The staff takes this responsibility more seriously than you’ll ever know. Below are some important dates and events for the beginning of the school year:
August 20 & 21: Last two days of registration—We’ve have had many parents register their children for school already! If you have not, please do so as soon as possible. Please see the Steele website for registration times for the above dates.
August 21: Please join us Thursday, August 21st at 6pm for a New Parent Orientation. Kevin Greeley, the principal, and veteran parents of Steele will discuss strategies to make this a great year for you. Afterwards we encourage parents to join us at the Sports Alley Bar and Grill for a more informal get together. This is a great opportunity to get to know fellow parents, learn more about Steele and get answers to any questions you may have. We hope to see lots of families there!
August 22: Popsicle Social, 3:00-4:00 in the playground; come out and meet your teacher and mingle with future classmates.
August 25: First Day of School! The first bell will ring at 8:10; teachers will meet their classes outside and bring students to their classrooms.
September 1: Labor Day, no school.
Enjoy the rest of your summer. I’m very excited to see you in the near future.