Here are two very specific procedures we have in place to keep our students safe:
Student Data Privacy
In order to keep our students safe, we limit the computer applications and programs requiring students to log in. There are some apps, however, our teachers plan to use that do require a student log in. Because our students are under the age of 13, parent permission is required in order for students to use these applications at school. A copy of the permission letter with more detailed information about the specific apps our teachers plan to use with students is linked here in English and Spanish.
If your child has your permission to access these apps, please sign and return this letter by Friday, August 31, 2018. We will also send home a hard copy of the permission form.
Standard Response Protocol (SRP)
In order for our students to be ready to learn, they must feel safe. Along with all schools in DPS, Steele Elementary uses the Standard Response Protocol (SRP) as part of our Safety Plan. Please take a few minutes to learn about SRP.
A critical component of a safe school is the uniform classroom response to an incident at school. Weather events, fires, accidents, intruders, and other threats to student safety are scenarios that are planned and trained for by school and district administration and staff. The premise is simple – there are four specific actions that can be performed during an incident:
- Lockout is followed by the Directive: “Secure the Perimeter” and is the protocol used to safeguard students and staff within the building.
- Lockout Drill within the first 30 days of each semester.
- Lockdown is followed by “Locks, Lights, Out of Sight” and is the protocol used to secure individual rooms and keep students quiet and in place.
- Lockdown Drill within the first 30 days of each semester.
- No one will be granted entry into the building during a Lockdown/Lockdown Drill.
- Evacuate is always followed by a location, and is used to move students and staff from one location to a different location in or out of the building.
- Evacuate (Fire Drill) within the first 10 days of school and once per month.
- Shelter is always followed by a type and a method and is the protocol for group and self protection.
- Shelter Drill within the first 30 days of each semester.
- Parents may enter the building during a weather event for their own safety.
- Students will not be allowed to leave the school until the weather has cleared.
To view a visual summary of the SRP, click here.
- We executed an Evacuation Fire Drill on the first Friday of the school year.
- We plan to execute our first semester Lockdown Drill this Thursday August 30.
- Friday, September 7, is the date for our September Evacuation Fire Drill.
If you have questions about our Standard Response Protocol, please let us know.