Dear Steele Families,
As I am sure you know, the negotiations between our district and the DCTA broke down again on Saturday. This means the first teachers’ strike day will be tomorrow, Monday, February 11, 2019.
UPDATED STRIKE PLANS:
We have 16 classroom teachers participating in the strike. We were able to secure 15 substitute teachers for Monday and Tuesday. This means we expect our class sizes to be normal or close to normal, not the 40-45 we thought. Students will be in their regular classes with the exception of one 4/5 classroom. Because we are short one sub in 4/5, we will need to divide the students and combine them with other 4/5 classes. Our substitute teachers will be using both district created lesson plans, as well as emergency substitute plans prepared by our teachers. We will be able to maintain our current specials schedule for Monday, and we hope the same holds true for Tuesday and Wednesday.
ARRIVAL WILL BE INSIDE.
- Students in grades K-2 will go to the cafeteria where Steele staff will be on duty.
- Students in grades 3-5 will go to the auditorium where Steele staff will be on duty.
- Students will be dismissed by class to the the substitute teacher to ensure a safe transition to the classroom.
While we know you may be apprehensive about these changes, it would be helpful if you could drop your child off as you normally do. I am a bit concerned that too many people in the building in the morning could cause confusion for students and our guest teachers, which could potentially be a safety issue.
DISMISSAL WILL BE INSIDE.
- If you normally pick your child up, please check your child out with the substitute teacher/para in the classroom.
- Students who typically ride the bus will continue to ride the bus.
- Students who participate in enrichment classes will be dismissed to Enrichment staff to attend their classes.
- Should your child’s dismissal plans change, please notify Melissa or Yolanda in the office.
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
- Transportation will continue as normal.
- Discovery Link and Enrichment will continue as normal.
- The PTA Meeting will be rescheduled for Tuesday, February 19 at 6:00 pm.
- Second Grade Families: Alice in Wonderland will be postponed. More details to come.
Our goal is to keep tomorrow as close to a normal school day for our students as possible. As needs arise, Nisha Ashley, our PTA Volunteer Coordinator, will send out communication.
Thank you for your patience and support during the Strike period.